|Ms Karen Easson (f)|
Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP)
The ANP works autonomously and is accountable for own professional actions.
- Undertakes Clinical Nursing Practice at an advanced level using expert knowledge and clinical skills to deliver holistic care to people accessing primary health care services.
- Assessess, diagnoses and treats patients:
- attending primary health care services with a range of acute, non-acute and chronic medical conditions
- in surgery or own home who require acute medical attention and refer to appropriate further care.
- Directly admits patients to secondary care hospital in acute medical need.
- Refers patients:
- to other medical specialities if deemed appropriate.
- as appropriate to other members of the multidisciplinary team, secondary care and to other statutory and voluntary organisations including referral for x-ray.
- Has undertaken x-ray training as required by Tayside Health Board.
- Undertakes and interprets a range of diagnostic tests and routine clinical procedures e.g. cytology, venepuncture, blood pressure monitoring etc.
- Makes critical judgments of the highest order to satisfy the expectations and demands of the job e.g. first contact with patients presenting acutely and manages care in the prescence/absence of protocols.
- Makes decisions where preceents do not exist, where appropriate without recourse to others e.g. direct referral of patients to Hospital consultants without prior reference to other medical colleagues.
- Works within
- professional guidelines and codes of conduct.
- all relevant practice policies and procedural guidelines e.g. infection control, chaperoning, risk management.
- Extended and supplementary prescriber.